September 16, 2014
Minnesota Canoe Trips on North Shore Lakes and Rivers
In addition to the big lake, Lake Superior, Minnesota’s North Shore has hundreds of inland lakes and rivers. And a great way to explore them is by canoe. It’s easy, you can go at your own pace, and you can venture out on the smallest to the largest lakes. Paddle along shorelines, take a midday swim, bird watch, and maybe even spot a moose.
Canoe the Poplar River with us for FREE!
More summer vacation fun! Caribou Highlands Resort offers a great little canoe adventure trip right in our own backyard. We put the canoes in the Poplar River and go exploring during a one-hour paddle. One of our guides will join your group, provide instruction and share their knowledge of the area.
I Want To Canoe
- Guided canoe trips are offered several times a week throughout the summer
- Start to finish, you will be gone just over 1-1/2 hours
- It’s all included – canoes, paddles, life jackets and a guide
- It’s complementary for Caribou Highlands Lodge guests
- Sign-up sheets are posted at 9am the day before the program is scheduled. Sign-up is required for all programs and space is limited. If no one is signed up for the activity by 9pm the evening before, the event will be cancelled. All schedules are subject to change.
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW)
The Boundary Waters is a designated wilderness in northeast Minnesota. It is about 1.3 million acres and has over 1200 miles of canoe routes, thousands of lakes and islands, and a rich wilderness environment.
Use of the BWCAW requires a permit and more information can be obtained at:
BWCAW Information Visit Website
Ranger Station Hwy 61 in Tofte
Recommended Guided Canoe Tours
True North Adventures
Join up with the guides at Lutsen Mountains for three different trips.
Voyaguer Canoe Tour (ages 7+)
Paddle the Poplar River with a bunch of your friends in this 25-foot Voyageur canoe.
Sawtooth Outfitters Guided Tours
Offering half and full day guided trips in the Superior National Forest and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Includes canoes, equipment, instruction and transportation.
Go It Alone
Looking for a nearby lake to go for a quiet paddle? Our number one recommendation is Barker Lake. It is reasonably close, small enough to be comfortable and big enough to explore plus you can swim, hike and bike, too!
Outfitters – Canoe & Equipment Rentals
True North Adventures
218-663-7281 ext 1320
Voyaguer canoe tours and guided tours.
Hwy 61 in Tofte
Rentals and guided tours.
Sawbill Canoe Outfitters
Sawbill Lake, 26 miles north of Tofte
Rentals and guided daytrips.
Inquire at the front desk and they will help you.
2015 North Shore Waterfalls Report – Temperance River
E-Break for March 26, 2015
E-Break for March 11, 2015
”Great Place to Stay”
- Paul S, on Trip Advisor -
”Great Family Time!”
- miama-mn, on Trip Advisor -
”Great Family Trip”
- dmacgillis, on Trip Advisor -
- Sadi14, on Trip Advisor -
”Family Friendly Resort”
- sdinwatsd, on Trip Advisor -
”Already thinking about booking for next year!!”
- MinnDude, on Trip Advisor -
- PhilK03, on Trip Advisor -