March 6, 2014
Hiking is a favorite vacation activity for guests at our resort. From a short walk to see river cascades to a hike down Moose Mountain to combing cobblestone beaches, Minnesota’s North Shore has hundreds of miles of hiking trails.
The Superior Hiking Trail
The North Shore of Lake Superior boasts one of the top 10 trails in the nation – the Superior Hiking Trail. The trail begins in Duluth and meanders through the ridge lines and woodlands along Superior’s coast, ending at the Canadian border. While the entire trail is over 200 miles, many sections are 3-7 miles in length and are easily accessible. Some of our favorites are below. Link: http://www.shta.org/
Top 10 Lutsen Area Hiking Trails
- Moose Mountain and Poplar River Lutsen Mountains – walk from the resort - Take an easy walk up the Ski Hill Road and board the tram to the top of Moose Mountain. Take in panoramic vistas of Lake Superior, Moose Mountain and the Sawtooth Mountain Range. Grab a picnic lunch and walk the pathways at the top of Moose Mountain, or pick up the Superior Hiking Trail and hike the 3.6-mile trail through the maple forest down through the Poplar River Valley.
- Lutsen Mountains Hiking – walk from the resort - Fifteen miles of trails traverse the hills and forests of Lutsen Mountains offering shaded hikes, open meadows and views of Lake Superior.
- Oberg Loop Lutsen – 10 minute drive - Hike through maple hillsides to a loop with seven stunning overlooks of Lake Superior, the Sawtooth Mountains, Teal Lake and LeVeaux Mountian. Bring your camera!
- Cascade River State Park Lutsen – 20 minute drive - Hike the trails from Hwy 61 up and over the many cascades of this state park’s namesake river. You can park at the river mouth and amble along the beach or enter the park and climb the wooded hill trails, too.
- Temperance River Gorges Schroeder – 20 minute drive - Temperance has a great cobblestone beach at the river mouth, but the show stopper is the brief hike up the east side of the river to the stunning rock gorges carved by years of thundering water pushing to Lake Superior. A bit further inland are the more sedate cascades. Don’t miss the footbridge just above the river mouth!
- Britton Peak Tofte – 20 minute drive - This is a short, steep hike to wide open views of Lake Superior, Carlton Peak and the Temperance River Valley. Located a few miles up the Sawbill Trail.
- Sugarloaf Cove Schroeder – 25 minute drive - Explore the Lake Superior shoreline and forest along these 1-mile interpretive hike. A perfect leg stretcher on summer vacation!
- Eagle Mountain BWCA – 45 minute drive - Hike to Minnesota’s highest point, Eagle Mountain (2,301 feet)! This is the classic North Shore day hike. At 7 miles round trip, pack a lunch and head through birch forests, spruce bogs and past lakes as you climb to the peak. BWCA permits required and are provided in the parking area.
- Artists Point and Grand Marais Harbor Grand Marais – 30 minute drive - Looking for a slow, meandering, coffee-in-hand sort of hike. Grab a coffee to go and explore Artists Point, the east breakwall and beaches of the East Bay and Grand Marais harbor. Very nice!
- Devil’s Kettle Judge Magney State Park – 45 minute drive - This quiet park is centered around the Brule River with its Upper and Lower Falls and famous Devil’s Kettle, a spot in the river where the Upper Falls split into two. Half the river enters the Devils Kettle and no one knows where the water goes! The trail is 2-1/4 miles total with a section that has nearly 200 stairs down (and back up) from the river.
Best Hikes For…
- Families Over the foot bridge on the Cascade River, Sugarloaf Cove and the Grand Marais Harbor
- Non-Hikers Artist’s Point, Grand Marais harbor, river mouth of the Temperance and Cascade Rivers
- Serious Hikers Eagle Mountain, the trail up & down the river and to Lookout Mountain at Cascade River State Park
- Mystery Lovers Devil’s Kettle and Sugarloaf Cove (find out why Sugarloaf exists)
- Immediate Gratification Britton’s Peak, footbridges on the Temperance & Cascade Rivers, or walk to Caribou Crossing for a treat
- Don’t Want To Drive Hike up to the Poplar River and the Lutsen Mountains trail system
Brace Yourself – Ski Season is Coming
Best Fall Color Destinations in Lutsen
A Fall Hike
”Great Place to Stay”
- Paul S, on Trip Advisor -
”Great Family Time!”
- miama-mn, on Trip Advisor -
”Great Family Trip”
- dmacgillis, on Trip Advisor -
- Sadi14, on Trip Advisor -
”Family Friendly Resort”
- sdinwatsd, on Trip Advisor -
”Already thinking about booking for next year!!”
- MinnDude, on Trip Advisor -
- PhilK03, on Trip Advisor -